- Las Agachadas
- double mixed chorus (SSAATTBB)
- Alternate Title
- The Shake-Down Song (English Title)
- Year Composed
- ARCO Number(s)
- Text Information
- Spanish traditional text and English translation.
- World: New York, May 25th, 1942 (Schola Cantorum, cond. Hugh Ross)
- Commission Info
- Hugh Ross and the Schola Cantorum of New York
- Boosey & Hawkes
- Publishing Status
Buying OptionsBoosey & Hawkes
Hugh Ross, conductor of the Schola Cantorum, commissioned a composition to honor the first conductor of the Schola, Kurt Schindler, who had been responsible for bringing to light many unknown and forgotten folk songs. Copland chose a "dance-song" from Burgos in northern Spain. The song is written for two groups of singers — a solo group and an eight-part mixed chorus. Copland wrote, "I hoped to give the song a realistic native feeling."
- Vivian Perlis
This work is an arrangement of melody no. 202 in Kurt Schindler's collection Folk Music and Poetry of Spain and Portugal.