Welcome to the official website for 20th century composer Aaron Copland. On this page, you may find answers to some questions about how this site works, and what content and data is available. Should you discover any issue or something that doesn't work as expected, please contact us using the site's contact form.
(1) The Works of Aaron Copland
Copland's musical works* may be viewed by visiting the Works page. On this page, you will be able to filter by title, category, publisher, instrument, or by a date range in years. You can also sort the list by clicking on any header row. Results that you filter on this list are bookmarkable, by copying the URL in your browser's URL bar. To view any work, click on the work's title. Note that you can only filter by one instrument at a time – should you need to filter on multiple instruments**, or need a more comprehensive search that includes 3rd party arrangements, or arrangements in collections, please visit the Advanced Search page.
All of the works listed in the Works section have comprehensive metadata now available for the first time, including historical information such as who works were comissioned by, which works have versions or arrangements, alternate titles, scoring, ARCO numbers, premiere info, publishing & availability, and many also include additional resources and media such as scholarly articles, program notes, images, video and audio. Program notes displayed for any work are freely distributed for use in printed programs for concerts, or in CDs or music releases.
*Note that this listing shows only Aaron Copland's canonical works, and does not include works that were arranged by 3rd parties, or works that have been adapted/reduced, etc.
**Note that on the Advanced Search, when filtering on multiple instruments, the search is aggregate, meaning that it will only return results that have all of the instruments chosen, not works that have 'either' instrument chosen.
(2) News, Events, & Information
The site also features a comprehensive calendar of performances of Copland's music worldwide. The Events page also allows you to search for events by Country, Date or Date Range, Keyword or Works. Many events have direct links to information on the event or ticketing. Past events are also viewable for those interested, using the archives.
The news section provides interesting highlights related to Aaron Copland, including interviews, resources, event announcements, new editions, audio releases and more. Should you have an article or topic to suggest or submit, please don't hesitate to contact us on our contact form.
(3) Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") Policy
If you believe that content available by means of this web site infringes one or more of your copyrights, please notify us by means of an emailed notice (“Infringement Notice”) providing the information described below to the email address listed below. If The Aaron Copland Fund for Music, Inc. takes action in response to an Infringement Notice, it will make a good faith attempt to contact the party that made such content available by means of the most recent email address, if any, provided by such party to The Aaron Copland Fund for Music, Inc. Please be advised that you will be liable for damages (including costs and attorneys’ fees) if you materially misrepresent that a product or activity is infringing your copyrights. Thus, if you are not sure content located on or linked-to by this web site infringes your copyright, you should consider first contacting an attorney.
All Infringement Notices need to include the following:
- An electronic signature of the copyright owner or a person authorized to act on their behalf;
- An identification of the copyright claimed to have been infringed;
- A description of the nature and location of the content that you claim to infringe your copyright, in sufficient detail to permit The Aaron Copland Fund for Music, Inc. to find and positively identify that content;
- Your name, address, telephone number and email address; and
- A statement by you: (a) that you believe in good faith that the use of the content that you claim to infringe your copyright is not authorized by law, or by the copyright owner or such owner’s agent; and (b) under penalty of perjury, that all of the information contained in your Infringement Notice is accurate, and that you are either the copyright owner or a person authorized to act on their behalf.
Infringement Notices should be sent to email@example.com.