As orchestras around the world have been forced to suspend their regular concert seasons, many have put together alternative digital and radio offerings to keep their audiences connected during these unprecedented times. From rebroadcasts of past performances to new recordings assembled from musicians’ living rooms, there’s now more access to recorded performances than ever before. And naturally, that means more chances to hear live performances of Copland favorites from all around. Find videos, broadcasts, archival recordings, and more below, and keep checking back for updates and new finds.
Scheduled radio broadcasts and live streams, including archived past performances and new content.
- July 27, 2020 at 8 pm ET - Tanglewood takes their festival online this year. Catch Copland's Third Symphony on this TMC Orchestra Encore program. More info here.
- July 30, 2020 at 8:30 pm CET - Rai National Symphony Orchestra's final “Concerti per la ripresa,” featuring Copland's Quiet City. More info here.
- August 9, 2020 at 11 am CET - The Barcelona Symphony Orchestra performs Fanfare for the Common Man and Appalachian Spring Suite in a prerecorded concert broadcast on Catalunya Música. More info here.
On-Demand Audio & Video
Orchestras are releasing more and more archival recordings for online streaming on demand. Listen to these past performances of Copland works from orchestras from near and far:
- The New York Philharmonic’s NY Phil Plays On program has over 150 hours of performances from their archives, including these three performances of Copland works:
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra’s June 2017 performance of Third Symphony.
- The National Symphony Orchestra’s 2016/2017 season performances of Lincoln Portrait and Fanfare for the Common Man.
- The Boston Symphony Orchestra’s performance of Copland's Clarinet Concerto from Tanglewood in 1980 can be found in the orchestra’s media page here.
- Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra offers performances of both the full ballet and suite from Appalachian Spring here.
- The Charlotte Symphony Orchestra offers a collection of archival recordings to stream, including “Americana” featuring Old American Songs on their website here.
- Cincinnati Pops’ “American Soundscapes,” including their performance of Fanfare for the Common Man from November 2016.
- The Louisiana Philharmonic’s playlist on their YouTube channel, including their 2013 performance of Lincoln Portrait.
- The Philadelphia Orchestra’s 2018/2019 season performance of the Appalachian Spring full ballet for orchestra.
- Charleston Symphony’s performance of Lincoln Portrait from their "Pictures at an Exhibition" concert, available to stream on their website here.
- Memphis Symphony’s 2018/2019 performance of Fanfare for the Common Man, available to stream on their website here.
- Boulder Philharmonic’s re-released 2017 Kennedy Center performance of Appalachian Spring with Frequent Flyers Aerial Dance.
- Interlochen Arts Academy hosts their 2020 Festival celebration online this year, including this virtual performance of "At the River."
- Copland House kicked off their "Coping with Copland House" project with "Simple Gifts" from Old American Songs. Listen here.
- See Appalachian Spring three ways with the Martha Graham Dance Company -- with the original cast from 1944, the company's 2019 performance at Jacob's Pillow, and a quarantine collaboration with musicians of the Toronto Symphony.
- Vitebsk opens this performance by Vikingur Olafsson and members of l'Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France. Stream it here.
- In Performance at Penn State's July program features performances of "Thou, O Jehovah, abideth forever" and Three Latin American Sketches.
- Music Academy of the West featured Fanfare for the Common Man in their virtual season opener. Re-watch it anytime here.
Playlists, Podcasts, and More
Concerts from home, curated playlists, podcasts and more -- these creative offerings feature Copland works in new settings and among other orchestral classics.
- The LA Philharmonic’s themed Spotify playlists, like this Zubin Mehta playlist, include past recordings of Fanfare for the Common Man and Appalachian Spring.
- The Musicians of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra put together this viral performance of Appalachian Spring from their individual homes.
- Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra’s new digital series, Musical Journeys, presents weekly episodes curated by music director Ken-David Masur from the MSO’s archives. Episode 1 includes their January 2018 performance of Quiet City.
- Orpheus Chamber Orchestra’s new Songs of Comfort playlist features their recording of Appalachian Spring Suite.
- Baltimore Symphony has been releasing new podcast episodes on their website and podcast platforms, including “Classical Insights” on Appalachian Spring, Lincoln Portrait, and Third Symphony.
- Utah Symphony’s new video performance of Fanfare for the Common Man in honor of all essential workers, features the orchestra’s brass and percussion remotely from their homes along with images of local healthcare workers and first responders.
- The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra shares music from their past Luminosity performances and programs, including Fanfare for the Common Man and Variations on a Shaker Melody in these playlists.
Last updated 8/3/20